35% increase in adults accessing emergency accommodation in Louth -Joanna Byrne TD
Thursday 20th 2025, 14:51 pm
Local Sinn Féin TD Joanna Byrne has said that government assertions that they are tackling the housing crisis and adequately fighting to end homelessness, is far from the reality on the ground in Louth.
Speaking in the Dáil on the Sinn Féin motion regarding the Tenant-In-Situ scheme, Deputy Byrne said “In January 2024 there were 172 Adults accessing emergency accommodation in Louth, and in January 2025 that had jumped to 232 Adults accessing emergency accommodation in Louth.
“That is a 35% increase in those needing emergency accommodation in Louth, in just a year.
“By any definition or metric, that paints a picture of abject failure to tackle homelessness in Louth by this government.
“The Tenant-In-Situ scheme had helped people who were given notice to quit an opportunity to stay in the home they had rented for years and in some cases even for decades.
“As a former Louth County Councillor & Chair of Louth County Councils Housing SPC, I know the impact and real-life positives of The Tenant-In-Situ Scheme had for those lucky enough to be approved.
“But for some reason, this scheme that has actually delivered, for those few lucky enough to be approved, and allowed people to stay in their homes, has been suspended since the end of last year, due to the failure of Government to agree the funding and targets for 2025, with hundreds of applications left pending without a decision due to lack of funding.
And still, the requests by tenants who have been served notice to quit by their landlords, who want to sell the property, are coming in thick and fast, daily and weekly.
This decision by government will cost the taxpayer more in the long run as those that will have to leave their homes will most likely end up in emergency accommodation.
The social housing tenant-in-situ scheme is a vital homeless prevention scheme which is why we in Sinn Féin introduced our motion, to try and bring it back, properly funded and ready to go.
A 35% increase in those needing emergency accommodation in Louth alone in just a year, shows how badly it is needed.
No one can stand over an increase like that.
“I will continue to push the government to tackle the homelessness crisis in Louth and I will always support legislation that can actually tackle the crisis.
We, at Boyne News, strive to deliver informative and engaging news articles to our readers daily.
Copyright © All Rights Reserved